It’s a big call, but I’ve found an alcoholic beverage that is better than beer!!
It’s name? Makgeolli!!
I know, I can’t believe it either, but while having dinner a couple of days ago (blood sausage and squid!) we asked for a bottle of the local brew, makgeolli, and were served one that had been brewed from corn (I think?).
Things I love about makgeolli:
- It’s brewed from rice (I don’t know that I love it because of that…but it’s a cool fact anyway);
- Has about the same percentage alcohol as beer;
- Is light on the fizz (so you can slam it down fast!);
- Is drunk out of a bowl;
- Is only slightly sweet;
- Tastes sensational!!
- It’s dirt cheap (here anyway).
Things I don’t love about makgeolli:
- It looks like yak’s milk.
The big question I have is…can you buy it in Hobart, Tasmania?